StarTools Fonts Are Much Too Small!

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
MoonFace

StarTools Fonts Are Much Too Small!

Post by MoonFace »

My First Post...

I just installed the trial software. Unfortunately, I can't read it because the fonts are much too small, just 2mm high for capital letters.

I read through a year old discussion here on the Forum of the same problem. It helped me clear up my font fuzziness but not the font size. The software's icons, buttons and scroll bars are also much too small and grey on black creates little contrast to see them properly. I can't try the software without using a magnifying glass. I'd really appreciate some help please as I'm not satisfied with my current image processing software and I'd really like to try StarTools.

My Setup...
Desktop running the latest Windows 10 and a 24" monitor set to 1080x1920. My Window's display scaling is set to 150% which is great for me, as is the apeearence of this forum's user interface.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: StarTools Fonts Are Much Too Small!

Post by admin »

Hi,

It sound like this is a Windows configuration issue...
Would you be able to post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

By 1080x1920 do you mean you are using your screen in portait mode?

Is this the thread you looked at?

Thank you!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
MoonFace

Post by MoonFace »

Hi Admin,

Yes that was the thread I looked at. It helped me replace my tiny fuzzy font with tiny clear font..., still tiny though.
I should have wrote 1980x1080 (landscape mode).

Here's a screenshot of what I see...
Attachments
StarTools.jpg
StarTools.jpg (93.42 KiB) Viewed 19055 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MoonFace wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:57 pm Hi Admin,

Yes that was the thread I looked at. It helped me replace my tiny fuzzy font with tiny clear font..., still tiny though.
I should have wrote 1980x1080 (landscape mode).

Here's a screenshot of what I see...
Thank you for uploading the screenshot.
I cannot see anything wrong here; the font sizes should be sufficient for normal use (though if you have a vision impairment, the labels may indeed appear too small). The rest of of the UI uses bigger text however.
You can also put StarTools in "high DPI" mode which should make things a little bigger; add a file name 'highdpi' (without extension! into the folder where the executables are located). Instructions are in the same link. Version 1.7. implements a higher contrast UI, which should help as well.
Ivo Jager
MoonFace

Post by MoonFace »

Hi Ivo,

I downloaded v1.7. Installing it again created small fuzzy fonts. Overriding Windows high dpi settings for the application again fixed the font fuzziness but still leaves the fonts too small for me. I created an empty "highdpi" file and placed it into the distro folder. It had no effect. Yes, the button contrast is better in v1.7, thanks.

I can read the small fonts but it's simply more difficult than I'm comfortable with. I do not have this problem with any of the dozens of other applications I use.

I went on to use StarTools for the first time. It's obviously very capable but I am adverse to learning curves (I retired from New Product Development).

Thank you Ivo for following up with this issue, your help really is appreciated.

Ken
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Ken,

I just uploaded a new version (1.7.437 alpha) that has a special feature for you that makes things a little bigger again.
To activate it, create a file named 'largeui' without extension (e.g. as File Type it should just say "File" and not "Text File", precisely like the 'resources' file does).

I hope this helps & wish you clear skies!
Ivo Jager
sHuRuLuNi

Post by sHuRuLuNi »

Thanks for this. I too just created that file and now the fonts are readable again (they were really really small - I mean I had to use the phone zoom function to see them lol)