Crashes in 1.7.449

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
EmanueleDM

Re: Crashes in 1.7.449

Post by EmanueleDM »

I was not able to replicate the same crash on my desktop system with similar hardware. For now I am using the GPU accelerated version on windows as it performs better.
I've tried renting a cloud desktop with paperspace, but response times and image quality are not good enough for photo editing unforunately, therefore I'll look into buying a better laptop.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

EmanueleDM wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:16 pm I was not able to replicate the same crash on my desktop system with similar hardware. For now I am using the GPU accelerated version on windows as it performs better.
I've tried renting a cloud desktop with paperspace, but response times and image quality are not good enough for photo editing unforunately, therefore I'll look into buying a better laptop.
Thank you for letting me know! There is a good chance either reserving more swap space or setting up a dynamic swap space solution (e.g. the 'swapspace' package), may stabilise the Linux machine. That said, you may indeed find the 8GB of physical RAM too limiting.

Clear skies!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
EmanueleDM

Post by EmanueleDM »

I have upgraded to a new laptop with a Ryzen 4800H, 16GB of RAM and an RTX 2060 for a very good price. I'm running windows 10 since I have read that hybrid graphics laptops don't run very well with linux due to poor Nvidia drivers.

Startools is much, much faster (as expectd), however the Super Structure module still takes several minuets (around 5 minutes for an unbinned DSLR stack). I have set the TDR timer to 15 seconds, should I try a higher value or does the problem lie elsewhere?

Of course I am running the GPU-enabled .exe and the hardware is recognized properly by Startools.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

EmanueleDM wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:23 pm I have upgraded to a new laptop with a Ryzen 4800H, 16GB of RAM and an RTX 2060 for a very good price. I'm running windows 10 since I have read that hybrid graphics laptops don't run very well with linux due to poor Nvidia drivers.

Startools is much, much faster (as expectd), however the Super Structure module still takes several minuets (around 5 minutes for an unbinned DSLR stack). I have set the TDR timer to 15 seconds, should I try a higher value or does the problem lie elsewhere?

Of course I am running the GPU-enabled .exe and the hardware is recognized properly by Startools.
Congratulations on the new machine! It sounds quite capable indeed.
The TDR value only needs tweaking if the the driver crashes. If it completes successfully, then you should not have to change the TDR value. This is typically only a problem on older/underpowered cards, so you should be good.

The Super Structure module may indeed take a while on very large datasets for the initial model calculation. 5 minutes sounds rather long though (is it precisely 5 minutes? What resolution?), but I guess it is in the realm of possibilities on an RTX 2060 Max-Q card and a large enough dataset.

It is always worth checking the temperatures of your system to see whether there might be any thermal throttling going on (GPU-Z will help here). Some cheaper systems (For example ASUS A15 TUF series) shipped with a subpar thermal solution that can cause thermal throttling under high/sustained loads, particularly as they age. Switching the fan profile to a performance mode can help, or if the system is no longer under warranty, performing a re-paste with a quality thermal paste (for example Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut) can also drastically reduce temperatures.

You may also want to double-check whether StarTools is using the RTX 2060 and not the inbuilt Radeon solution.

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
EmanueleDM

Post by EmanueleDM »

The TDR value only needs tweaking if the the driver crashes. If it completes successfully, then you should not have to change the TDR value. This is typically only a problem on older/underpowered cards, so you should be good.
This is good to know, thanks.
(is it precisely 5 minutes? What resolution?)
The resolution is 5184x3456, I have tried it a few times on the same image with the Dim Small preset and it takes 5 minutes give or take a few seconds. One thing I have noticed running HWinfo during processing is that even when the GPU load is 100% the reported power drawn never rises above 30-40W, which is far from the full power of the GPU (I have the 110W version). I ran some benchmarks and in those the GPU rises to much higher values (I can tell not just from HWinfo but also the hurricane-like fan noise). This happens regardless of the system power profile I set. Any ideas?

I ran the various CPU and GPU benchmarks recommended by the seller and temperatures are fine even under full load.

Thank you for the help as always.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

EmanueleDM wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:09 pm The resolution is 5184x3456, I have tried it a few times on the same image with the Dim Small preset and it takes 5 minutes give or take a few seconds.
That's possibly about about right for an 18MP image for the initial model generation. It's an absolute GPU/CPU hog.
I might look at some approximations of what it is doing and see if that might be good enough for most situations.
One thing I have noticed running HWinfo during processing is that even when the GPU load is 100% the reported power drawn never rises above 30-40W, which is far from the full power of the GPU (I have the 110W version). I ran some benchmarks and in those the GPU rises to much higher values (I can tell not just from HWinfo but also the hurricane-like fan noise). This happens regardless of the system power profile I set. Any ideas?
Not all calculations necessarily use all the silicon at the same time. There is a lot of silicon that deals with graphics-specific acceleration (texture mapping, etc.) that simply isn't used for compute purposes. So this is quite likely why you are not seeing a massive power sink. This is good, as the card won't be throttling due to power restrictions. You could consider overclocking its core and memory to desktop, as both graphics core and (likely) memory will - in theory - be able to run at desktop equivalent speeds no problem. The only issue is usually the heat being generated and therefore a hard (e.g. non-tweakable) power limit and thermal limit is set, governing max boost clock. But if you are never hitting that power limit you can - in theory - boost all the way up to desktop spec.
I ran the various CPU and GPU benchmarks recommended by the seller and temperatures are fine even under full load.
It sounds like you made an excellent purchase. Congrats! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Ivo Jager
EmanueleDM

Post by EmanueleDM »

All is good then, I will consider overclocking the card and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you again!