HDR in Startools 8

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
Rkonrad

HDR in Startools 8

Post by Rkonrad »

I love the enhancements and improvements in the new startools version. I'm struggling a bit with the hdr - reveal function. I'm trying to get it to work as "reveal core" in the earlier versions. Ivo (or others), what settings in the module should I adjust to get what I want.

Thanks Richard
hixx

Re: HDR in Startools 8

Post by hixx »

Hi Richard,
from 1.7 manual: 'Reveal DSO core' uses the 'Reveal' algorithm and applies it to just the highlights. It is a very aggressive, but also effective, structural detail hunter.
Hence I would suggest to set context size small and experiment with mainly Highlights Detail Boost and probably Gamma Highlights (Tame) sliders as per taste
Pls let me know what works
cheers,
jochen
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

I will certainly try that. Thanks Jochen
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

I'm not having much success no matter how I adjust the settings. Ivo - would have a recommended setting under reveal that corresponds with reveal core? Thanks. Richard
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rkonrad wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:09 pm I'm not having much success no matter how I adjust the settings. Ivo - would have a recommended setting under reveal that corresponds with reveal core? Thanks. Richard
Hi Richard,

The module should behave largely the same. Would you be able to share an image where you are having trouble?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Hi Ivo

I don't seem to be getting the effect I was looking for with the reveal module in my image. I should try it with a galaxy rather than the nebula (Rho ophiuchi). I'll take your word as creator that it's the same as reveal core. Thanks for your amazing work. Im really admiring 1.8.

Richard
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

I too use reveal core and here Ivo kindly explained how to mimic for me, works great.
viewtopic.php?p=10927#p10927
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Thanks so much - this seems to be the effect I was looking for. I do love the ability to adjust the sliders and customize the results.

Cheers Richard