1.8 SVDecon (post2)

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
Heno

1.8 SVDecon (post2)

Post by Heno »

Continued from post 1, these are the colored images using the three results from the previous post.
In the non-decon image, the star color is nice and even, but in the deconvoluted images the stars hav obvious bright centers with no color. The larger star is not so bad with deringing set to 1.0, but the smaller ones are still ruined.
If I'm doing something wrong, can somebody point me in the right direction. Otherwise, if this is intended behavior, I will probably revert to 1.7.
Oh, I forgot to say in post 1, I have selected about 20 stars for the sampling.
Attachments
Deringing = 0,8
Deringing = 0,8
Color-DRA_0,8_v2.JPG (76.06 KiB) Viewed 16258 times
No SVDecom
No SVDecom
Color_no_decon.JPG (71.51 KiB) Viewed 16258 times
Deringing = 1.0
Deringing = 1.0
Color_DRA-1,0.JPG (70.54 KiB) Viewed 16258 times
hixx

Re: 1.8 SVDecon (post2)

Post by hixx »

Hi Heno,
you may try a 4 stage approach:
1) As suggested by Ivo, use "Dynamic Range Extension" parameter to create more Highlight headroom.
2) Tracking should be able to recreate color from linear data by using the " Highlight repair" parameter in Color module
3) Use the " Unglow" and "Tighten" features in Shrink module to pull color from neighbouring pixels back into star center
You do not have to revert back to V1.7 You may use SVDecon to create a standard Decon result. Just use synthetic athomspheric models and ferwer iterations. Please check out Guy's User notes or the unofficial manual for more precise tips
clear skies,
Jochen
Heno

Post by Heno »

Jochen
Thank your for your proposals and guide. I will certainly try these out.
I have read Guy's User notes a couple of times, but it's hard to remember everything as you are working on the images.
Helge
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Helge,

If you can't keep the internet open while working in ST, there's also a pdf unofficial manual you can download, and it incorporates most if not all of the Guy user notes. I've had that manual open side-by-side with ST quite a few times so I can follow the steps.
hixx

Post by hixx »

I've had that manual open side-by-side with ST quite a few times so I can follow the steps.
Hi Helge, Mike,
this is exactly why I compiled this Manual in the first place. And yes, it covers all of Guy's user notes content, but spread over the chapters: in Modules, there is a short "wrap up" section of the module describing it and the parameters. Tutorials chapter holds the "How to use" and "Special techniques" sections. Also Background information is contained later on. The manual is available in English and German, with a Spanish1_8 version by Carles coming soon.
The special techniques section is absolutely great to learn new & weird stuff, containing lots of user experience & tricks digged out of the forum
cheers,
Jochen
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Thanks, Jochen! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

I used the manual extensively for 1.7, and particularly the Special Techniques, along with references deeper in to the modules as needed. The bookmarking is well done and very helpful.

I didn't realize, until just recently when the 1.8 version was being discussed, that the manual was "unofficial" and user generated! :thumbsup:
hixx

Post by hixx »

.. well its not entirely "user created". Most sections are written by Ivo (introduction, module documentation etc. Ivo called it that way, because it expands on his officiaI documentation content. I considered Guy's User Notes as an ideal add-on, because these are very compact. Also I hoped to save some forum topics from being buried and forgotten, e.g. elpajare's hints on the flux module or some of Ivo's answers to frequently asked topics
cheers,
jochen
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Thanks Jochen, I totally get it. It's clear just from having read the main ST website and module descriptions, plus the user notes forum, where the bulk of the source material originated. Still an excellent piece of user work to bring all this stuff together in one useful pdf, with handy bookmarking for ease of navigation. :thumbsup: