Selecting the right GPU

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
mswhin63

Selecting the right GPU

Post by mswhin63 »

Hi, I have just installed a new Graphic Card but for some reason, it is not recognised by Startools GPU exe. Instead, it still displays the integrated GPU for the CPU. How can it be updated to recognise the new card installed?

I have turned off the integrated version in BIOS, but that has made no difference.
Carles

Re: Selecting the right GPU

Post by Carles »

Is it recognised by other software?
In case your graphic card is Nvidia, have you tried selecting from the Nvidia Control Panel-> control 3D > Software setup > then add StarTools GPU.exe to the list and select to use the Discrete GPU instead of the integrated one.

if it is AMD I am not familiar with the settings...but surely will be something similar.

Carles.
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Yes a little more info could help. Assuming desktop as you said you installed a card. Windows 10?

On my laptop, which has two chips - an Intel and an Nvidia, you can go into Settings, System, Display, Graphics Settings, and from there you can pick an app (you may have to browse your way to the ST GPU .exe) and tell it what to use - in my case the Nvidia is called "high performance" or something like that. ST then shows the GPU that I want being used.

Though on a desktop with the iGPU disabled...weird.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

You can override the default vendor selection by creating a file amongst the StarTools files, named 'openclplatformindex.cfg' (please make sure it has exactly that name, including its extension) and putting the number '0' or the number '1' in there. This lets you use different OpenCL platforms/vendors/drivers in your system if available.

There is also similar functionality via a file named 'opencldeviceindex.cfg'. Same thing - put a '0' or '1' in there. This lets you use different devices from the same vendor, running the same driver.

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
mswhin63

Post by mswhin63 »

Thanks, everyone, I tried the first method and noticed a big difference already. I may experiment with the other methods, ut at least I can now multi-task on my PC.