NB Accent - multiple data

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
admin
Site Admin

Re: NB Accent - multiple data

Post by admin »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:11 pm I don't think I was able to find a way to get it out of grayscale luminance mode and save a linear RGB file (HOO here) with actual colors.
I think setting "Luminance, Color" to "RGB, RGB (Legacy Software)" should do what you are after?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

admin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:30 am I think setting "Luminance, Color" to "RGB, RGB (Legacy Software)" should do what you are after?
Aha! Nice one, Ivo. :thumbsup:

I always forget about RGB, RGB. And I know I just used it for some trick like last month too. :oops:

I tested it out and Richard, that should do the trick too. Right in front of us the whole time. A few caveats --

First, because you can't use one of the (GB)(GB) options, make sure to put your OIII file into both G and B.

Second, when you hit Keep, you will get the opening dialogue. You must select either Linear or Non-Linear (even though it is linear), to stay in colorized RGB. If you select middle option (which some of us do sort of automatically), you will go back into grayscale luminance and it won't work.

Third, when you then save the file (without doing anything), I believe the only output will be 16-bit. If you want to maintain it like your original (I presume) 32-bit stacking output, you'd probably have to use the Siril or other methods already discussed. Unless Ivo has more surprises!

But, this also should give you a "faux" duoband file that you can now use to get the two sides of NB Accent! :D
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Thanks for the suggestion Jochen. I did try it and the software wasn't able to tell what was color - just monochrome.
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Mike,

I tried the Siril option you described and all I got was a black image. Perhaps I didn't do it right. I'll try again though thought I followed your directions carefully. Anyway, I got impatient and used the blend tool to achieve a balance between rgb and bicolour. Here is my try.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/rkonrad/09Y1129F57

I don't want to give up. I';ll try siril once more and then gimp as well.

Richard
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

A black image? Hmmm, me confused. :confusion-shrug:

I feel bad I've led you down these paths to nowhere!

But, I did get it to work when I tested it. So that means my teaching is probably the problem. Maybe I should just record a little screen video of me doing it.

Also did you see the in-ST solution above, after Ivo's tip on the Compose module effects?

If you want, you could provide links to the stacks (in a PM if you don't want them out in the wild) and I'll review if anything seems unusual, as well as composite them into the "faux duoband" file that you are looking for, and link it back to you. Along with perhaps some better step-by-step for how I made it.

Until then, as you say, Layer blending is always an option! But NB Accent is fun to play with and has some extra accenting features that probably aren't going to be available via layer blend.