Linux 64 GPU 1,8

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
Star Dad

Linux 64 GPU 1,8

Post by Star Dad »

Hi -
Just download the latest version. I am switching from Windows to Linux as the Windows partition on my laptop is getting very difficult to start up. I downloaded the OpenCL package and ocl-icd packages as well. The 32 bit version appears to run. But the 64bit ones do not. From the command line I get an error "bash: ./StarTools-Linux64: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error". I am running Kubuntu 18.04 on a Dell XPS502x with 8xi7 cores.

Any clues of what may be wrong?
Star Dad

Re: Linux 64 GPU 1,8

Post by Star Dad »

OOPS - I just started up the 32 bit version and I noticed that it says Startools 1.7.456.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Is this solved now?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Star Dad

Post by Star Dad »

No, the 64 bit versions refuse to even start as noted above. The 32 bit version (on one test image of the Pelican Nebula) produced horrid results... nothing like the windows version. I've always used the 64bit version on Windows. And I have verified that my Kubuntu package is running the 64 bit version of 18.04.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Usually, the error pertains to an unsupported executable architecture. E.g. trying to run a 64-bit executable on a 32-bit OS, or trying to run the macOS version on a Linux system, etc.

Since you are absolutely certain you are indeed running a 64-bit kernel, we can troubleshoot further;

Firstly, I would try the latest 1.8 version and see if that solves the issue.

I do vaguely remember a bug in one of the libraries that identifies/launches ELF64 apps in old versions (like 18.04) of Ubuntu, which caused it to misidentify executables, so next thing I would try, would be upgrading your distro to something more recent. 18.04 is getting very long in the tooth and will not be supported any further in ~6 months time.

Do let me know if this helps,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Star Dad

Post by Star Dad »

Ok, I had a feeling you might say that. I've been gradually weaning myself off windows and preparing to make the upgrade to my Kubuntu partition. I'd just as soon completely drop windows on the laptop, if possible. Even so, I could still run the Windows version on my desktop (it too is partitioned), but I cannot remove it because there a a couple of programs that will only run on windows :( .