Rapid close of 1.9.547alpha on new Linux 64

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
jackbak

Rapid close of 1.9.547alpha on new Linux 64

Post by jackbak »

I had to rebuild my ten year old Intel i7 core machine over the weekend. New machine is AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX.
This machine should be plenty beefy enough (64 GB of Ram, Radeon GPU) but when I open the latest 1.9.547alpha
or for that matter the 1.8 stable after I try to open a file Startools instantly closes. There is no info in the log either.

I can look at the info about my license and the support tab without crashing, This also happens with the 1.8 stable.

I'm thinking maybe an OpenCL problem - I have OpenCL 3.0 w/ Vulken 1.3.243 driver.

Further, the ST GPU version won't even open - sure would like to take advantage of the shiny new GPU.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Jack
Mike in Rancho

Re: Rapid close of 1.9.547alpha on new Linux 64

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hi Jack,

Not that I have anything to back this up, but I would lean towards a Linux thing. Maybe search and skim through some recent Linux questions posted here - I know Ivo has answered some questions about which releases work and how to set up the OS, etc.

Other thing you can maybe add to your post is which particular Radeon GPU is in there. I do have some friends who bought or built big Threadripper based machines, but despite all that CPU speed, it came with a vastly underpowered GPU.
jackbak

Post by jackbak »

Thanks Mike,

Yeah, that's why I said I was leaning towards OpenCL but I need to know what ST is barfing on so I can chase it.

It's in a Beelink GTR box with an integrated GPU - that said it shows as RADV REMBRANDT with 12 cores, from Linux.

Per amazon "AMD Radeon™ 680M 12core 2400 MHz"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jack,

Can you paste the output of the 'clinfo' command here?

Thank you!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
jackbak

Post by jackbak »

Hi Ivo,

OpenCL shows,

Number of platforms 0 <----- well that looks bad

ICD loader properties
ICD loader Name OpenCL ICD Loader
ICD loader Vendor OCL Icd free software
ICD loader Version 2.3.1
ICD loader Profile OpenCL 3.0

but OpenGL (EGL), and OpenGL (GLX) and Vulcna show lots more.
I will post those outputs as an attachment later (my dog is irritated that I am not letting her out)
jackbak

Post by jackbak »

Ok the Vulcan output is
video_info.zip
(11.35 KiB) Downloaded 777 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jackbak wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:06 pm Number of platforms 0 <----- well that looks bad
Indeed. It appears your system does not have any OpenCL devices or platforms configured.
Given you have an AMD graphics solution, the first step should be to install the AMD Linux drivers from their website (don't rely on the ones that come with your distro).
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
jackbak

Post by jackbak »

Thanks Ivo.