Startools and Feora 19 x64

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Startools and Feora 19 x64

Post by admin »

BenBetta wrote:Hello,
I would linke to use Startools on Fedora 19 x64bit. When I start the program, it closes itself after a few milliseconds. So far I have installed x11 (because of using IRAF) and Tlc/Tk (for PyRAF). I read anywhere that this would be needed... Are there any (other) dependencies to run Startools successfully?

Greetings,
Benjamin
Hi Benjamin,

Nice to see more Linux users!
StarTools uses the following shared objects on your system (from 'readelf -d StarTools-Linux64');

Shared library: [libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0]
Shared library: [libgobject-2.0.so.0]
Shared library: [libglib-2.0.so.0]
Shared library: [libpthread.so.0]
Shared library: [libc.so.6]
Shared library: [libX11.so.6]
Shared library: [libm.so.6]

Hope this helps and is enough to get StarTools going on your particular distribution!

Cheers,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmmm... xmessage is only invoked in case of a serious error. Installing xmessage should make the error visible at least. If a (serious) error occurs during startup it is almost always related to the 'resources' file not being accessible to the application. This could be due to the file missing from the folder that the executable resides in, or it could be due to the resources file having the incorrect permissions (it needs to have read AND write permissons).

Does this information help at all?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Working directory? Shortcut creation requires nomination of working directory in ubuntu. Link will not work otherwise.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Perhaps you are missing some x window components? Just a guess.