Question about the preferred folder for Star Tools

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
JMorris

Question about the preferred folder for Star Tools

Post by JMorris »

Hi Ivo,

When I try to run StarTools from the StarTools folder in my C:\Program Files directory (C:\Program Files\StarTools), it loads up as if it is an evaluation copy even though I've copied my license file to that location. If I put the StarTools folder directly onto the C: drive,C:\StarTools (also with the license file of course), it runs as a licensed copy. Is this the expected behavior? I don't have a problem running StarTools that way but it does seem a little odd. It's been doing this at least since last August. I'm running Windows 8.1, 64bit.

Jim
admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about the preferred folder for Star Tools

Post by admin »

Hi Jim,

The only issue would be read/write ability - StarTools requires the 'resources' and 'license' files to be read/write enabled.
The folders in the Program Files folder are (AFAIK) write protected since Windows 7, so that may be the cause of your issue.

Does that help?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
JMorris

Re: Question about the preferred folder for Star Tools

Post by JMorris »

Yes, that seems to be it! And Windows doesn't seem to allow me to change the permissions either. Thanks, Ivo, now I know what's going on. I'll just keep running StarTools from its folder on the C: drive.

Jim