Trouble saving final image

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
trobbet

Trouble saving final image

Post by trobbet »

Recently I have had trouble saving Tiff files when done processing. Everything says they are being saved, but when I look for the saved file, its not there. Maybe this is my computer and not startools, but I havent seen this with other apps. I cant seem to save every time I try to docs in Mac 10.68, but if I save to Desktop, it works. Last image I did I tried 4 x's in Docs and then used desktop.
In the past, I was able to save to documents.

Thanks, Tom :?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Trouble saving final image

Post by admin »

trobbet wrote:Recently I have had trouble saving Tiff files when done processing. Everything says they are being saved, but when I look for the saved file, its not there. Maybe this is my computer and not startools, but I havent seen this with other apps. I cant seem to save every time I try to docs in Mac 10.68, but if I save to Desktop, it works. Last image I did I tried 4 x's in Docs and then used desktop.
In the past, I was able to save to documents.

Thanks, Tom :?
Hmmm... That's odd... Does StarTools have permissions to write (save) to the docs file? Definitely sounds like a file permissions issue if it's able to save to Desktop just fine... :think:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

Hello Ivo,

Thanks for responding.
I wasn't able to get anywhere with the permissions idea. That just may be me... The strange thing is that most times, although I do not get an error message or anything to indicate the file isn't being saved, the file never materializes, but sometimes (about 20%) it does. It turns out that saving to the Desktop, at first, just seemed to work always; it doesn't always.
BTW, Fits files in Nebulosity always end up saved for example. Maybe its something quirky about my computer, or maybe, I will figure it out. I really don't expect you to. I posted this to see if it was a known easily fixable issue.
I have to admit, it is an inconvenience for me, as yesterday I finished an image and was not able to save it anywhere on my computer, but for whatever reason, this AM my computer saved it when I attempted for about the 6th time.
Cheers, Tom :?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

trobbet wrote:Hello Ivo,

Thanks for responding.
I wasn't able to get anywhere with the permissions idea. That just may be me... The strange thing is that most times, although I do not get an error message or anything to indicate the file isn't being saved, the file never materializes, but sometimes (about 20%) it does. It turns out that saving to the Desktop, at first, just seemed to work always; it doesn't always.
BTW, Fits files in Nebulosity always end up saved for example. Maybe its something quirky about my computer, or maybe, I will figure it out. I really don't expect you to. I posted this to see if it was a known easily fixable issue.
I have to admit, it is an inconvenience for me, as yesterday I finished an image and was not able to save it anywhere on my computer, but for whatever reason, this AM my computer saved it when I attempted for about the 6th time.
Cheers, Tom :?
Sorry about that Tom - that sounds really annoying. I will look into this and see if I can replicate this odd behavior. Stay tuned!
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tom,

I can't for the life of me reproduce this bug.. :(
When the dialog comes up. Do you specify an extension along with the file (e.g. tif, tiff or jpg), or do you let StarTools ask for the extension?
Both should work, but maybe it yields a clue...
Ivo Jager
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

Ivo,

I'm glad you asked, because I have been trying to save 3 different file, each numerous times, in the last 24 hours and no luck!
I was wondering about the dialog. when it comes up I can only name it and specify where I want it saved. No place for kind of file. Then a dialog appears saying: "File Type not supported...etc. Would u like to save as a Tiff or Cancel"
I choose tiff, and nothing appears other than indications that something may be happening... then now nothing... even when i do a search for file.:(
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is this the latest version?
Does it help at all when you specify the extension (e.g. input 'myfile.tiff' or 'myfile.jpg')?
Ivo Jager
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

I'm using .279.

Doesn't seem to work when I specify type of file, but it does update Log.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you tell me what the line on the log says exactly? (e.g. the "File saved [xxxxxx]." entry)
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I looked at the code and the only way this behaviour would come about is when opening the file fails last minute.
The most common reason for this would be a write protected folder, or another application holding the file locked.
Since you indicated before that you are certain that the folder is not write-protected, something else is prohibiting StarTools from writing to the file last minute.

Did you install any other application right around the time that this started happening?
Ivo Jager