ST 1.7.461 crashing on Mac while using the Color Module

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
ldipenti

ST 1.7.461 crashing on Mac while using the Color Module

Post by ldipenti »

Hi Ivo,

I started doing some experiments with narrowband data this past weekend on my 2017 iMac 32GB RAM, and spent a lot more time than usual on the Color module trying to see if I could get something nice out of my Ha & Oiii data (in addition synthetic Sii & L frames) combined in the Compose module on load time.

I'm not able to reproduce the crash yet but it happened several times, making me go over the whole process again and again and finally making me giving up.
I wanted to ask you if it would be useful to provide you with the data + log files for debugging, or if there's some special way to run the app to log more interesting data.

TIA
admin
Site Admin

Re: ST 1.7.461 crashing on Mac while using the Color Module

Post by admin »

Thank you for reporting this.

This is the first time I have heard of any lingering instabilities on ST 1.7... :(
In particular I have not heard of any stability issues in the Color module for a long, long time. Therefore, it sounds like a machine/configuration-specific
issue, possibly related to GPU acceleration.

The crash log/report would be most welcome indeed. The ST log and datasets may also help. Thank you in advance!

In the meantime, you could see if using the CPU only stabilises the application;
create an empty file named 'openclforcecpu.cfg' (case sensitive) in the StarTools folder (e.g. where the executables are located).
On the bottom of the splash screen at startup (or about dialog) it shows if the switch to CPU-only acceleration is successful.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast