64-bit MacOS X support

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
gustavo_sanchez

64-bit MacOS X support

Post by gustavo_sanchez »

Hello,

Why 64-bit support is not currently available for MacOS X? It is going to be available sometime?
admin
Site Admin

Re: 64-bit MacOS X support

Post by admin »

Hi Gustavo,

A MacOSX 64-bit is definitely on the agenda in the near future. The one thing holding us back right now is Apple and its de-facto requirement that MacOSX binaries are compiled on a MacOSX computer.
StarTools is a not-for-profit passion project endeavor (making a loss), so we really have to be careful how we spend our limited time and resources.
We're currently getting around this by using a Linux cross-compiler for MacOSX. Unfortunately, this cross-compiler does not allow us to cross-compile 64-bit applications.
We may just have to bite the bullet and purchase an Apple machine to compile StarTools on. By purchasing StarTools, your support has brought that closer to becoming a reality.
After the final 1.3 release, we intend to tackle this.

Hope this helps,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
dvdearden

Post by dvdearden »

Ivo & Gustavo,

I notice that the "modified" date on the MacOS app shows February 2011. I assume this is probably wrong, because within the app the version number is the current one (I just loaded 1.3.186). So is the 32-bit MacOS version getting all the same updates as the 64-bit versions?

I have a 64-bit MacBook Pro and work at a university, so I have access to a number of compilers. I'm not a computer scientist, but would be happy to do whatever I can to help in getting the MacOS version up to 64-bit.

Thanks for all the work on StarTools. I'm amazed at how quickly I seem to be coming up to speed with it. After working at Photoshop for over a year and slowly learning the ropes there, just a couple of weeks in StarTools has been enough to surpass what I was able to get the old way. I especially appreciate the repair functions, since I have an inexpensive mount and a fast Newtonian that is prone to coma!

David
www.astrobin.com/users/dvdearden
David V. Dearden
what I do for fun: astrobin.com/users/dvdearden
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

dvdearden wrote:I notice that the "modified" date on the MacOS app shows February 2011. I assume this is probably wrong, because within the app the version number is the current one (I just loaded 1.3.186). So is the 32-bit MacOS version getting all the same updates as the 64-bit versions?
Absolutely, the MacOSX version gets the same updates as all the other versions. The file that matters is the binary, which is refreshed at every release along with all the other versions.
dvdearden wrote: I have a 64-bit MacBook Pro and work at a university, so I have access to a number of compilers. I'm not a computer scientist, but would be happy to do whatever I can to help in getting the MacOS version up to 64-bit.
Your offer is greatly appreciated - it's generous and helpful users like yourself that make it all worthwhile! :thumbsup: Unfortunately, there is a bit more work involved with getting a 64-bit version up and running. The multi-platform framework that I have been using makes use of the MacOS Carbon framework, which Apple has now deprecated for 64-bit binaries. I will need some time to write a Cocoa version of the framework, which is high on the agenda.
dvdearden wrote: Thanks for all the work on StarTools. I'm amazed at how quickly I seem to be coming up to speed with it. After working at Photoshop for over a year and slowly learning the ropes there, just a couple of weeks in StarTools has been enough to surpass what I was able to get the old way. I especially appreciate the repair functions, since I have an inexpensive mount and a fast Newtonian that is prone to coma!
That is so great to hear David - it is exactly what StarTools is gunning for!
Ivo Jager
CCD1024

Post by CCD1024 »

Hello
I am new user of Startools and as I am working mainly on OSX with 4096x4096 images, I would like to know if you have a release date for OSX 64bits version ? :thumbsup:

I use a Win7 64bits computer right now to save the situation but I prefere OSX platform :confusion-shrug:

Thank you for this nice and usefull software !

Best
phil
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Phil,

You have my promise that MacOSX 64-bit, as well as a full Android version will have the highest priority once 1.3.5 is out the door!

1.4 will be about optimisations and architectural updates, more than new features.

Cheers,
Ivo Jager
CCD1024

Post by CCD1024 »

Thank you Ivo :obscene-drinkingcheers: