Crashes when using GPU version

General discussion about StarTools.
Astroscapist

Crashes when using GPU version

Post by Astroscapist »

Anyone have had problems with processing large files?
Seems Startools crasches everytime I try to edit big images.
Tried to edit 1GB TIFF file with a resolution of 200 MPx, but it crasches when using HDR.
Problems is solved by using x64 version, but it is much slower.
I use win10.

/Stefan
/Stefan
I use AstroPixelProcessor, Startools and PS to edit my images
admin
Site Admin

Re: Crashes when using GPU version

Post by admin »

Astroscapist wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:20 pm Anyone have had problems with processing large files?
Seems Startools crasches everytime I try to edit big images.
Tried to edit 1GB TIFF file with a resolution of 200 MPx, but it crasches when using HDR.
Problems is solved by using x64 version, but it is much slower.
I use win10.

/Stefan
Hi Stefan,

When processing datasets of that sort of size, the amount of graphics memory your GPU is equipped with, becomes quite important.
Depending on the algorithm, often the GPU will need to store multiple versions of your dataset in at least 32-bit precision, so that's 200M * 4 = 800MB per image, (multiplied by 3 if the algorithm processes multiple channels at the same time). At least one input and one output image applies, so that is multiplied by at least 2. For 2 * 800MB = 1.6GB of free graphics memory required for even the simplest algorithm. Note also that your OS will be using some graphics memory.
However, often, multiple inputs and intermediate states are applicable, all requiring 800MB each. This quickly adds up.
What are the specs of your GPU?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Any chance increasing that TDR timeout could help here, if changing to non-GPU doesn't crash? I've bumped that up on any computer I run ST on.

Though new HDR is so heavily CPU anyway, seems it might be kind of unusual that's the module that wants to crash.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:52 am Any chance increasing that TDR timeout could help here, if changing to non-GPU doesn't crash? I've bumped that up on any computer I run ST on.

Though new HDR is so heavily CPU anyway, seems it might be kind of unusual that's the module that wants to crash.
Again, if you can provide the specs/model of your GPU, then that would give an indication as to where the problem may lie.
Ivo Jager
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

admin wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:58 am
Mike in Rancho wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:52 am Any chance increasing that TDR timeout could help here, if changing to non-GPU doesn't crash? I've bumped that up on any computer I run ST on.

Again, if you can provide the specs/model of your GPU, then that would give an indication as to where the problem may lie.
Me? I was just trying to help. And probably not doing a very good job of it. :lol:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:59 pm
admin wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:58 am

Me? I was just trying to help. And probably not doing a very good job of it. :lol:
Oops. :oops: Apologies. I need to read more closely who I'm replying to (it's been a long day).

There is indeed a chance a TDR change may help.

However, given the memory requirements for the dataset at 200MP, with a standard OpenCL GPU_MAX_ALLOC_SIZE of 25% and the average GPU now sitting at only ~4GB of memory based on statistics from gamers (which is likely not representative of StarTools users), my money would be on memory limitations.

Older AMD cards may also use a segmented memory model, which limits the size of hardware registers used to access memory (therefore limiting the total maximum size of memory that can be allocated/manipulated at once).

GPU architectures and capabilities are enormously diverse, so information as to what specific device (as well as drivers/OS!) we're dealing with is really needed to be able to make specific recommendations (GPU_MAX_ALLOC_SIZE may be changeable on some configurations for example!).
Ivo Jager
grndvl1

Post by grndvl1 »

Yep crashes for me when I try and clip the image. Older win10 computer for me but still apps should not crash.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

grndvl1 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:47 am Yep crashes for me when I try and clip the image. Older win10 computer for me but still apps should not crash.
Hi,

How does the crash manifest itself?
What sort of GPU solution are you using?
Are the solutions/considerations in this thread of any help?

Thank you,
Ivo Jager