New Data on Tarantula Nebula NGC 2070

User images created with StarTools.
Startrek

New Data on Tarantula Nebula NGC 2070

Post by Startrek »

Finally some clear nights down under so decided to capture a challenging target NGC 2070 Tarantula Nebula. Challenging because I only get just over an hour of clear sight due to my roofline and huge tree.

I haven’t imaged this object in 2 years from my City Suburban location. Last imaged from my retirement rural retreat Bortle 3 location January 2022.
Captured over 2 nights

No moon
Bortle 8 skies
6” f6 GSO Newtonian Reflector
Skywatcher EQ6-R pro mount
ZWO2600MC cooled to -10C , Gain 100
Antlia ALPT Dualband 5nm OSC filter
TS Optics GPU coma corrector
78 x 2 min dithered guided subs
40 x Flats
60 x Bias
PHD2 Multistar guiding ( 0.60 arc sec total )
EQMOD, Stellarium, APT
Stacked in DSS
Processed in Startools V1.8 via Compose Bi Color OSC

Very please with the result for just over 2 hours

Really enjoying ST version 1.8 , finally got my head around everything now thanks to all on the forum who provide help , Guys user notes and especially Ivo for taking time out of his busy schedule to provide guidance and assistance

Comments most welcome

Thanks
Martin
Attachments
8ACC6B0E-FB74-4881-9D53-2A731607A7C6.jpeg
8ACC6B0E-FB74-4881-9D53-2A731607A7C6.jpeg (550.13 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
fmeireso

Re: New Data on Tarantula Nebula NGC 2070

Post by fmeireso »

Very impressive image of that beautifull object...
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

fmeireso wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:44 pm Very impressive image of that beautifull object...
Thanks for your comment
It is an incredible nebula in our neighbouring LMC Galaxy and is always an impressive view with any imaging set up
Clear Skies
Martin
hixx

Post by hixx »

Stunning image, Martin! :thumbsup:
I think I' havn't seen as much detail of that object before...
Look like i need a "rural retirement bortle 3" location myself ;) ;-)
Clear Skies,
Jochen
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

hixx wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:15 pm Stunning image, Martin! :thumbsup:
I think I' havn't seen as much detail of that object before...
Look like i need a "rural retirement bortle 3" location myself ;) ;-)
Clear Skies,
Jochen
Thanks Jochen
Some clear nights coming up s I might add a few hours to this 2 hour capture
By the way it was captured at my City suburban location Bortle 8 not my retirement getaway
My 10” Carbon fibre and EQ8-R in my NexDome awaits my arrived down there after Christmas. I’ve hardly used that big rig due to so much rain over the past 8 month down under , our country , in particular my state, had the worst floods in a century

Thanks again
Martin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You're really kicking goals here Martin. Tack sharp, beautifully processed. It's not a particularly easy target with a vast dynamic range.
The one point of possible constructive criticism I would have, would be entirely unrelated to the processing, but rather the description. It would be super useful to mention the mapping used, so it's much easier to interpret the colouring.

Excellent work!

PS Very happy to hear you're getting along with ST 8 now. :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Ah, took me a minute to translate kicking goals from soccer into American. ;)

Beautifully done, Martin! Amazing, that stuff is in the LMC outside the MW, yet can be captured so crisply. :shock:
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

admin wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:37 pm You're really kicking goals here Martin. Tack sharp, beautifully processed. It's not a particularly easy target with a vast dynamic range.
The one point of possible constructive criticism I would have, would be entirely unrelated to the processing, but rather the description. It would be super useful to mention the mapping used, so it's much easier to interpret the colouring.

Excellent work!

PS Very happy to hear you're getting along with ST 8 now. :thumbsup:
Thanks Ivo
Yes enjoying ST1.8 after some initial minor stumbling blocks
It does prove you don’t to need to spend a lot of money on the hobby to capture and process some reasonable images with a humble OSC camera
My old 6” GSO newt cost me $299 back in 2016, I think they are still only $390 to $420 now
I was considering jumping into the Mono realm in early 2023 but might hold off for a while , acquisition with Mono requires regular clear sky time and / or a lot of patience
I still have my new 10” Carbon fibre newt at my dark site which I’ve only used 3 or 4 times this year , so much more to do with this rig and my OSC ZWO2600MC
Thanks and Kudos to you Sir for inventing and developing wonderful software like Startools, the most under used , under rated , and “relatively” unknown post processing software on the planet.I push the Startools barrow wherever and whenever I can
It’s hard telling PI , PS etc.. users to try ST , folk get stuck in their ways (I did start with PI but then found ST and never looked back )
Clear Skies
Martin
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:49 am Ah, took me a minute to translate kicking goals from soccer into American. ;)

Beautifully done, Martin! Amazing, that stuff is in the LMC outside the MW, yet can be captured so crisply. :shock:
Thanks Mike
Appreciate it
I’ve never exposed so much detail before ( If you capture good data and plenty of it , ST 1.8 just works and works beautifully )
I do have family in the US ( LA and Seattle ) cousins, but haven’t visited them for a long time. Must get back to the US at some stage in the future

Thanks again
Martin
decay

Post by decay »

Hi Martin,

such a great object - and such a stunning image :thumbsup:
Startrek wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:02 am It does prove you don’t to need to spend a lot of money on the hobby to capture and process some reasonable images
I think that's true, Martin. With my entry level 8" f/5 GSO Newt and low-end Canon DSLR camera the problem is never the hardware, but in almost all cases behind the scope ;) I guess the only really important thing for AP is a decent mount.
Startrek wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:02 am I still have my new 10” Carbon fibre newt at my dark site which I’ve only used 3 or 4 times this year
I remember a 'dictum' - something like "the best camera is the camera that you are carrying with you" - and not the high-end camera you left at home. I think that's similar to your case – you take great shots with your affordable equipment simply because you can take advantage of the opportunity when one arises.
Startrek wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:07 am I do have family in the US ( LA and Seattle ) cousins, but haven’t visited them for a long time. Must get back to the US at some stage in the future
Remember to take your scope with you if you ever visit your family in the US. That’s the opportunity to to capture some objects of the Northern Skies. ;-)

Best regards, Dietmar.