IC 1805 Heart nebula - Red or Pink

User images created with StarTools.
fmeireso

IC 1805 Heart nebula - Red or Pink

Post by fmeireso »

Hi all,

Started my own thread. This is a version of my Heart nebulae. It is made with Ha mono stack with ha filter coming from a debayerd DSLR and an OSC DSLR stack. Since the image came out pink in Startools (which should be correct i know now) i still altered to the red. Took me quite some fiddling actually. I kind like, allthough there are still caveats. One of them is starcolor. There is some, there should be more. But that seems to have been a kind of stacking problem in PI with debayered flats...which interfered with the color.

Thoughts and remarks on this welcome
IC1805_9504StIsolateStarColorGimp500kb.jpg
IC1805_9504StIsolateStarColorGimp500kb.jpg (480.09 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
fmeireso

Re: IC 1805 Heart nebula - Red or Pink

Post by fmeireso »

This is one of the version directly form ST i believe, before touching it with GIMP, allthough i am not 100% sure, i admit
IC1805pink (Large).jpg
IC1805pink (Large).jpg (544.14 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
dx_ron

Post by dx_ron »

I like the first (modified) version better, as it looks more dramatic to me. I'm having my own "red" issue with a duoband version of the California nebula. There is very, very little Oiii in the nebula so I am expecting a nice deep red. But I get pink. I might start a general "what color is red?" thread in the image processing forum where we can all discuss this.
hixx

Post by hixx »

Hi dx_ron..
The pink is not caused by O-III, but by Hydrogen, receiving higher energies, enough to create those teal H-beta and blue H-gamma lines, resulting in pink when mixed with red Ha. California is known for having a prominent H-beta Signal.
Still You can use the NBA slot, load an Ha or Duoband Signal and chose to enhance red only to skew it more towards red...
Clear Skies,
Jochen
dx_ron

Post by dx_ron »

Hi Jochen,

When imaged through a 5nm duoband filter, the H-beta and H-gamma lines should be suppressed into nothingness. I will put together and post the individual color channels in another thread, but there is almost nothing in the blue channel. The green channel shows some structure, but I assume it is from the green bleed-through response of the Bayer filter at 656nm rather than signal from H-b or H-g being registered in the 500nm Oiii passband.

Ron
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Luminance stack

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5d8vrwx4dre6 ... 1.fit?dl=0

Chrominance stack

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acjvx9vwozjf0 ... B.fit?dl=0

For the ones that like to give it a go. Calibration should be ok, cause the rgb version is restacked.
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Freddy you did seem to do a nice job here, I think.

I could get things plenty more red, in ST without using Gimp, via NB Accent, but so far I'm not getting the same detail that you obtained. So not sure what I'm doing wrong there.

Difficult to get star color right too, depending on what is "right." Star sampling and leaving it where ST set the balance (except maybe a slight G reduction and/or cap) seems to look good, but with Ha being the luminance, I'm unsure.

Though since you do have an OSC file, that could conceivably be used to run out an image just to be used to layer in RGB stars later. That could perhaps allow more manhandling in the Color module, and then deepening and expanding the red Ha via NB Accent. But I haven't tried that yet since I can't quite get those inside details contrasted correctly it seems. If I could figure that out, then maybe I'll give that theory a go.
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Thanks Mike for your assistance.

Well the Heart in red in once thing , IC 434 another. Was processing it most of the day, today....again eventually i could not get it right, but the good news is , in the end i tried the NBaccent module and another setting in the compose module and it came pretty right.I did use GIMP to saturate it a bit more but i could have done this probably in ST too Anhyhow i was able to get a rather nice IC 434 and a yellow orange flame...I have to re do it because i left too much noise in but i think it will be ok...Again as with the Heart i was able to catch quite some Ha, conditions were favorable and over here the streetlights go out from mi!dnight until 5 in the morning now ...that sure helps!

And yes i am always hunting for much ha, so i tend to stretch my images it rather heavy, because i want to see as much detail and nebulosity as i can :D
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:41 pm Freddy you did seem to do a nice job here, I think.

I could get things plenty more red, in ST without using Gimp, via NB Accent, but so far I'm not getting the same detail that you obtained. So not sure what I'm doing wrong there.

Yes , now i come to think of it , me too...With NBaccent you can get it red, but you don't have the detail. I just think that not every object is that well suited for NBaccent. As said, it looks that IC 434 will do better...allthough it tends a bit to go the orange...
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

For the record :

I tried my IC 1805 with Startools v1.9 now for fun. The NbAccent module seems to work so much better. Here kind of a false color one. Bit less stretched then the red from the start of this thread. I could have done in in red too. But the detail comes out so much better then in the previous version...
IC1805NewStartoolsGimp3 (Large).jpg
IC1805NewStartoolsGimp3 (Large).jpg (541.14 KiB) Viewed 1788 times