IC 1805 Heart nebula - Red or Pink

User images created with StarTools.
Mike in Rancho

Re: IC 1805 Heart nebula - Red or Pink

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Interesting Freddy! Sort of lemon meringue?

But as this was for the record, I think the record needs some expansion. :think:

Your image looks a bit like the H(H+O)O available as a bicolor mapping, but I'm not sure that was your acquisition. And then, I don't think that sort of remapping is available in NB Accent, just red/blue or a more Balmerized purple/cyan.

:confusion-shrug:
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Color is not important here, Mike . I just took another color mapping in Nbaccent, just i kinda liked it. It is not very relevant but what i meant is that the Nbaccent module seems to work so much better in v1.9...
Yesterday i reprocessed NGC 281 with the Nbaccent mod 1.9. Again the result was much better then the versions i came up with in NBaccent 1.8.
I hope the V1.9 soon will be officiale released
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Freddy,

looks really cool. But which color mapping did you choose in NBAccent? I tried all options in 1.9 NBAccent with my Heart nebula and didn't get anywhere close to your yellow renditions. As Mike already said, rather looks like the H(HO)O option in Color's Matrix. Did you apply NBAccent and then revisit the color module?

Regards
Stefan
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Since everybody is wondering ... :D

Just took the setting below. Not quite relevant probably, cause i did not take any OIII nor SII but i just liked the outcome color, that's all... :D

--- Color
Parameter [Bias Slider Mode] set to [Sliders Reduce Color Bias]
Parameter [Style] set to [Scientific (Color Constancy)]
Parameter [LRGB Emulation] set to [Straight CIELab Luminance Retention]
Parameter [Matrix] set to [Identity (OFF)]
Parameter [Dark Saturation] set to [2.0]
Parameter [Bright Saturation] set to [Full]
Parameter [Saturation Amount] set to [200 %]
Parameter [Blue Reduce Bias] set to [1.00]
Parameter [Green Reduce Bias] set to [1.41]
Parameter [Red Reduce Bias] set to [1.56]
Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [1.0 px]
Parameter [Cap Green] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Highlight Repair] set to [10 px]
--- Visual Spectrum Narrowband Accent Compositing
Parameter [Ignore Fine Detail <] set to [Off]
Parameter [Outside RoI Influence] set to [15 %]
Parameter [RoI X1] set to [1220 px]
Parameter [RoI Y1] set to [706 px]
Parameter [RoI X2] set to [1533 px (-1043)]
Parameter [RoI Y2] set to [1188 px (-495)]
Parameter [Threshold] set to [7 %]
Parameter [Shadow Linearity] set to [49 %]
--- Visual Spectrum Narrowband Accent Compositing
Parameter [Response Simulation] set to [H-alpha/S-II (Red) + O-III (Teal)]
Parameter [Color Modify Input] set to [Luminance]
Parameter [UNKNOWN] set to [Max of Channel]
Parameter [Detail Size] set to [0 px]
Parameter [Brightness Correlation] set to [Off]
Parameter [Gamma] set to [1.00]
Parameter [Strength] set to [145 %]
Parameter [Band Balance] set to [50% / 50%]
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

I did not pay much attention to my stars. They had a tendency to turn to magenta and some fine background stars turned to red, too much to red.
But again, that was not my concern, it was just a test of the Nbaccent module in v1.9 which imho does a much better job in the newer version...

I did reviste the color module after the Nbaccent but ONLY for the stars not the nebuale. I made a starmask and revisited the module to get better coloring in the stars. the nebulae remained unchanged.
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Mmhh...okay, thanks! But I still don't get how the nebula was colored in yellow :confusion-shrug: Was the nebula already yellow after the color module? Or is NBAccent resulting in this palette since you used an response simulation with Ha+OIII although you loaded and Ha mono file into Compose's NBAccent slot?

Regards
Stefan
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

No, after the color module the nebulae was red. It is also red after the NBaccent module choosing eg Balmer plain red or Balmer red/purple. Just by changing it to the setting seen in the log file it goes to yellowish. Also the other settings in NBaccent gives different colors but well not very nice....

I did not use the luminance channel , so in the R G B channels the OSC color stack and in NBaccent slot the HA stack.

CS
Freddy
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Color is not important Freddy? Au contraire! Well, unless you are just being whimsical and then of course, one can do whatever they want.

My view was that the NB Accent was ST's answer to the often difficult problem of combining BB and NB, but that the result would be (mostly) within the bounds of BB - at least as to color scheming, since the base image is expected to be visual spectrum.

With NB only, of course, the particular color as to each emission filter doesn't matter. Mostly. Imager's choice, but certain selections such as provided in the matrices are supposed to help with differentiation.

Also it is sometimes a standard, usually followed by NASA, to remap false color from long to short wavelength, though one doesn't need to.

Anyway, I think you answered Stefan afterward that this was some selective alteration by revisiting Color at the end. So, all is explained and not some feature I managed to miss in compose or NB Accent. :lol:
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:39 pm Color is not important Freddy? Au contraire! Well, unless you are just being whimsical and then of course, one can do whatever they want.

Anyway, I think you answered Stefan afterward that this was some selective alteration by revisiting Color at the end. So, all is explained and not some feature I managed to miss in compose or NB Accent. :lol:
Off course Mike color IS important but i guess you misunderstood what i am trying to point out. :D
Point is that in V 1.9 i just getting way better outcome with the Nbaccent. I wonder what Ivo has changed. In this new version the NBaccent module really boosts the nebulosity just like the L,RGB approach. This was not the case in the former 1.8, at least not to my experience.
Also my revisting in color module afterwards did not change the color of the nebuale itself. Before i re entered the color module the nebulae allready had it yellowish false color look...so na....but well it is not about the color, but maybe i should have sticked to the red version :D

I guess in my case perhaps with my HaRGB approach it just works better ,no idea....

Did you notice much difference between Nbaccent 1.8 and 1.9?
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Okay, think I got it. The color comes from using the duo NB (Ha + OIII) color response simulation although you only got one NB (Ha) color in your NBAccent slot. Probably rather artistic ;) Don't know what ST is doing then and how it interprets the data. Anyway, all good to me as long as you like it. Ha just appears yellowish to me. Nothing fancy introduced into the image.

Regards
Stefan