Importing TIFF files from Lykeos keeps crashing ST's

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
trobbet

Importing TIFF files from Lykeos keeps crashing ST's

Post by trobbet »

Three days ago I was able to load a TIFF file of stacked frames of Jupiter from Lynkeos into StarTools and subsequently process the image. I made a better stacked image in Lynkeos (which is actually a smaller file) and it crashes ST's every time. I made a 3rd stacked TIFF file (still smaller), and it crashes ST's every time.

What can be done?
Thanks, Tom
admin
Site Admin

Re: Importing TIFF files from Lykeos keeps crashing ST's

Post by admin »

trobbet wrote:Three days ago I was able to load a TIFF file of stacked frames of Jupiter from Lynkeos into StarTools and subsequently process the image. I made a better stacked image in Lynkeos (which is actually a smaller file) and it crashes ST's every time. I made a 3rd stacked TIFF file (still smaller), and it crashes ST's every time.

What can be done?
Thanks, Tom
Hmmm... That's odd. Any chance you could share one of the offending TIFFs with me?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

Ivo,

Sorry for the delayed response. I got caught up in viewing and imaging the Supernova in M-82 , and stayed up too late, and from lack of sleep, just remembered I made this post. Here is one of the files that keeps crashing Startools:

Jupiter Stacked 1-21-14 844of7908 2X ISO400.tiff

Thanks, Tom
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

Sorry about that. Here's the file.

CS, Tom

PS...What to do? apparently this file is too big!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Any chance you could share it through, for example, Dropbox or Google Drive? It'd be much appreciated! :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

Ivo,
What e-mail address can I use for you to gain access to a new dropbox file I am setting up?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for sharing the TIFF with me Rob - it's truly much appreciated.
It appears Lynkeos encodes its TIFF incorrectly (the available strips encoded exceeds the resolution as specified by width x height). Ignoring any further data that exceeds the specified resolution seems to do the trick and stabilises StarTools. I've uploaded a new version (1.3.5.278RC), which is now available in the download section.
Ivo Jager
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

Ivo,

WOW! I can't believe the service here! Thank you so much for your help! I really thought it was something I was doing wrong, or that Lykeos just wasn't going to work with ST's, but the fact that you modified Startools to work with an incorrectly written Lykeos blows my mind! Thanks!
And, BTW, I was even able to finally figure out how to make this new version work with my license, despite my limited computer skills!

Best Wishes, Tom :obscene-drinkingcheers: