DSS vs Nebulosity vs ???

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
solo05

Re: DSS vs Nebulosity vs ???

Post by solo05 »

JMorris wrote:

All I did was to suggest the 'pause' line.

Jim
It was still a great help to get things running correctly Jim.

I found on my laptop I had put the DCRaw.exe into the wrong directory and on the desktop I put the path in the DCRaw.bat wrong. I had C:\windows\dcraw dcraw -v -r 1 1 1 1 -4 -T -S 32767 -k 0 -o 0 *.CR2
As you can see this makes the command line look into a directory that does not exist because I had dcraw dcraw. Take out one of the dcraw's and all works fine.

For more info on dcraw, and to where I found all this info, go to read this page. http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/ ... dex_en.htm

Regards
Steve
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

For those of us who are scripting virgins, I found this site: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scri ... 40112.aspx
Haven't tried scripting yet, but am reading up!!!
Che

Edit: Now I'm a scripting virgin with a headache
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

Ok, with the instructions you gurus have given above, I have installed dcraw, got .bat file shortcut in the "send to.."
My question(s) is(are)
I use Nebulosity to capture images with my QHY8. It produces a .fit file.
I assume that in the line C:\windows\dcraw dcraw -v -r 1 1 1 1 -4 -T -S 32767 -k 0 -o 0 *.CR2
I need to change the *.CR2 to *.fit is that correct?
I send an image to the bat file, it says Processing "file path"...
and get the error *.fit: Invalid argument.
What did I do wrong :confusion-shrug:

Che

Edit: I think I solved that problem(typo).....now it shows the path to the image file, but gives me an error saying "No files to process"
JMorris

Post by JMorris »

I don't think dcraw is designed to handle .fit files. According to Dave Coffin, the programmer behind dcraw, his mission is to "write and maintain an ANSI C program that decodes any raw image from any digital camera on any computer running any operating system." He's got a long list of cameras that are supported on the dcraw website (http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/) but they are all DSLRs intended for general use, not specialized astrophotography cameras.

Jim
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

JMorris wrote:
I don't think dcraw is designed to handle .fit files. According to Dave Coffin, the programmer behind dcraw, his mission is to "write and maintain an ANSI C program that decodes any raw image from any digital camera on any computer running any operating system." He's got a long list of cameras that are supported on the dcraw website (http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/) but they are all DSLRs intended for general use, not specialized astrophotography cameras.

Jim
Well, that would seem to explain it then :doh:
So I wonder, other than the FITS settings and no calibration settings in DSS, is there a way to ensure that FITS raw files are not adjusted in any way in DSS (as is the aim with dslr raw files being processed in dcraw prior to stacking in DSS)? Or is this not a problem with FITS raw as opposed to dslr raw?
Che
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cheman wrote:
JMorris wrote:

Jim
Well, that would seem to explain it then :doh:
So I wonder, other than the FITS settings and no calibration settings in DSS, is there a way to ensure that FITS raw files are not adjusted in any way in DSS (as is the aim with dslr raw files being processed in dcraw prior to stacking in DSS)? Or is this not a problem with FITS raw as opposed to dslr raw?
Che
Che,

FITS files don't (shouldn't) store white balance factors, so you should be safe from DSS/dcraw using them to perform a color balance of the data. I'm not sure what DSS does with bayered FITS data though... (just to confirm, is your QHY8 an OSC model?)
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

FITS files don't (shouldn't) store white balance factors, so you should be safe from DSS/dcraw using them to perform a color balance of the data. I'm not sure what DSS does with bayered FITS data though... (just to confirm, is your QHY8 an OSC model?)[/quote]

That is correct, sir!
jopangel

Post by jopangel »

Ivo,

The latest versions of dcraw compiled for windows will not support wildcards, at least the ones that I have found. I am using Win7 64, can you provide any assistance.

Joey
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hey Joey,

Have a look here

I believe wildcard support in 9.17 still works.

Cheers,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
jopangel

Post by jopangel »

Ivo,
Thanks for the quick response, I have the file and will try it out. Will be nice to see how much of a difference it will make.

Joey