OSX startup issue

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
szymon

OSX startup issue

Post by szymon »

Typically on a Mac one would copy the .app file to the /Applications directory and then open it from there, however this doesn't seem to work with StarTools. The only way that I can get it working on the Mac is to have the whole 'distro' directory somewhere and execute from the command line with:

Code: Select all

./StarTools.app/Contents/MacOS/StarTools
Any other combination ends up with an error about not finding its resources files:

Code: Select all

szymon:Applications szymon$ /Applications/StarTools.app/Contents/MacOS/StarTools 
2019-07-08 13:04:15.391 StarTools[3044:320089] /Applications/StarTools.app/..//
2019-07-08 13:04:15.392 StarTools[3044:320089] The application could not start because it could not find the 'resources' file, or the 'resources' file is write protected. Please make sure it is available in the same folder as the application executable and that it the folder and the 'resources' file has read/write permissions set.
szymon:Applications szymon$
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way of making it start up like a "normal" app?
szymon

Re: OSX startup issue

Post by szymon »

Just to be clear, I've done what's mentioned in https://www.startools.org/downloads/macos-notes and I am using the latest bleeding edge build 1.4.352
szymon

Post by szymon »

Oh, here's an interesting delta. If you have the whole distro directory under /Applications then it works. You can double-click on /Applications/distro/StarTools.app and the app opens and runs just fine. That seems odd for an OSX app -- it should be self-contained within its .app -- but at least it works :-)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It seems you've figured out the macOS behaviour already. :)

The reason it works like this, is that you can now take the distro folder and put it onto a Windows or Linux machine simply by copying it over. It will just work!
The slightly longer explanation is that this platform-independent distribution saves time and money better spent on developing the application.
The even more detailed explanation is that;
  • The dedicated distro folder makes support easier and more cross-platform as well, with a single location for files (such as license and logs) that is the same for all platforms.
  • It allows for fast cross-compilation, deployment and an agile, rolling-release schedule.
  • It removes the need to rely on bloated platform-dependent installer code (which would increase download size by a multiple!), or create separate platform-dependent downloads
  • It provides independence from Apple and its commercial practices that drive up costs and effort for small-time developers.
The install base for macOS is quite small, so it's a fine balance between supporting the platform and dedicating resources to it. The current way of working ensures that macOS users do get the latest and greatest versions, along with everyone else. I do apologise for the hoops you have to jump through however - in an ideal world, the experience would be better.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
szymon

Post by szymon »

Oh hey, I am fine with it — it just took me a while to work it out. I didn’t see it anywhere in a readme or instruction — might be worth documenting for dumb Mac users so that they know what to do (or they can search and find this thread ;-)
gaetano

Post by gaetano »

Hello, this is my very first post and would like to say hi to the forum.

I am a Mac user and I definitely had to spend some time before figuring out how to launch the application. On a Mojave machine I just needed to unpack the "distro" folder in /Applications and double click on StarTools but on my other machine, running High Sierra, this doesn't work. I have to enter the package and run the executable from there.
Please, try to make it a little bit more robust and standard, I think StarTools is a nice application and deserves a good user interaction.

Thanks,
Gaetano
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Gaetano and welcome to the forums!
You comments are noted. I'll see what I can do to once the next version of StarTools is out the door.
Ivo Jager
gaetano

Post by gaetano »

Thank you for your kind answer!
What about adding to the todo list also the support for some keyboard shortcuts?

Have a nice day
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

gaetano wrote: What about adding to the todo list also the support for some keyboard shortcuts?
Coming soon! ;)
Ivo Jager