1.5 is out

General discussion about StarTools.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 1.5 is out

Post by admin »

GedlingSky wrote:Thanks so much for this upgrade to StarTools. I have downloaded the Win 64 version of the v1.5 software but when I got to the end of my first use at the point of saving the image it stated it was a demo version. I already have a $50 license for StarTools already, what do I need to do to permit it to save?
Best Regards,
Steve
Hi Steve,
The activation procedure (outlined in the welcome email that your license came with) has not changed in 1.5; e.g. just copy the license in to the folder where the executable is located and you should be good to go!
If you lost your license, let me know and I'll resend, no problem. Any other problems, likewise, do let me know.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

-Joe_ wrote: Wow.. i never noticed!
AndyBooth wrote:Brilliant, never noticed that Ivo
It's new in 1.5 :)
It should help newbies get to grips with the software a bit quicker. I found it even helps me, just keeping track of what I'm doing with my sleep-deprived brain...
One other question that raises for me, what about binning when using a OSC camera?
Doesn’t binning screw up the colour info for the colour module?
Ive historically binned just before stopping tracking and subsequent noise reduction.
Hardware binning and software binning are two types of binning. HW binning indeed screws with the Bayer pattern, and may have some other drawbacks, depending on your sensor. HW does however reduce read noise. Software binning is much more flexible, is sensor independent, however does not reduce read noise.
HW binning may be beneficial if going for extremely faint stuff under very dark skies, where read noise otherwise swamps the signal. In most other cases, software binning is fine and may even do a better job depending on your use case.
It depends on your sensor as well whether read noise is even still an issue. Sensors are getting better and better.
Ivo Jager
GedlingSky

Post by GedlingSky »

Thanks Ivo, I just realised my original subscription was over two years ago, so I owe you my renewal subscription of £17 which I'll send off. My how times flies when you are having fun.
Great work on the v1,5 by the way. Can't wait to pour over the new capabilities it offers.

Cheers,
Steve
PaulE54

Post by PaulE54 »

I have a variation of this problem. I have a windows10/64 system. I purchased my full licence in June 2018, so within the 2 years. I have just downloaded 1.5 to update the previous 1.3 I was using. I only have 1 startools desktop icon, and when I click on it, v1.5 launches in trial mode. The properties of this icon point at the 1.3 folder under C:\Program Files. Which contains the licence file.

So 1.5 has definitely installed, and it thinks it is in trial mode, but I cannot find a separate 1.5 programs folder to copy the licence file from 1.3 into. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Any hints appreciated :-). The 1.3 folder contains only 1.3 exe file which have a "date modified" of 30 May 2018.

Paul
PaulE54

Post by PaulE54 »

OK and kind of solved it. When I downloaded v1.5 and installed, it created the new software in my downloads folder, not (as I was expecting) in Program Files. When I copy the licence key to this folder, v1.5 runs in full licensed mode.
However in an ideal world I would like the software in Program Files not downloads. I suspect if I do something obvious like copying the 1.5 install, it will break all sorts of things in Windows.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PaulE54 wrote:OK and kind of solved it. When I downloaded v1.5 and installed, it created the new software in my downloads folder, not (as I was expecting) in Program Files. When I copy the licence key to this folder, v1.5 runs in full licensed mode.
However in an ideal world I would like the software in Program Files not downloads. I suspect if I do something obvious like copying the 1.5 install, it will break all sorts of things in Windows.
Good to hear you got it solved. You can just copy the folder from downloads to somewhere else. StarTools is self-contained and even operating system independent, so you can even copy the folder across to a Linux box and it should magically work. :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

Well done Ivo this is brilliant, thank you and team for your development.
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

Hi Ivo
I've been out of the loop for a while. Hoping to get back into ap more now. Just noticed this update by chance and renewed my license. I know you said old license will still work, but you put a lot of work into this. Your excellent support is appreciated.
Che
elpajare

Post by elpajare »

An impressive job that further improves this great program

Many, many thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cheman wrote:Hi Ivo
I've been out of the loop for a while. Hoping to get back into ap more now. Just noticed this update by chance and renewed my license. I know you said old license will still work, but you put a lot of work into this. Your excellent support is appreciated.
Che
elpajare wrote:An impressive job that further improves this great program

Many, many thanks
Thank you both, and welcome back Che!
Ivo Jager