1.5.369 crashes on wipe

Bugs, glitches and unexpected behaviour.
alacant

1.5.369 crashes on wipe

Post by alacant »

Open
DSLR option
Autodev
Crop
Wipe
and StarTools disappears from sight.

Choosing Linear instead of DSLR to open the image allows wipe to conclude but then crashes on the star reduction after denoise.

Ubuntu 18.04-3

Image: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DQTE8 ... eP-xv16Qir

Any ideas?
TIA,
Steve
Last edited by alacant on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 1.5.369 crashes on wipe

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

I'm having trouble reproducing this on Linux Mint. Does this happen consistently?
If you upgraded form an older version, can you confirm for me you have extracted the entire ZIP file and not just some files?
Thank you!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
alacant

Post by alacant »

admin wrote:Hi Steve,

I'm having trouble reproducing this on Linux Mint. Does this happen consistently?
If you upgraded form an older version, can you confirm for me you have extracted the entire ZIP file and not just some files?
Thank you!
Hi Ivo
No I didn't copy all the files. Now I have, it works fine of course.
What an idiot! So sorry for yet more noise on the forum...

Cheers and clear skies,
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

alacant wrote:
admin wrote:Hi Steve,

Thank you!
Hi Ivo
No I didn't copy all the files. Now I have, it works fine of course.
What an idiot! So sorry for yet more noise on the forum...

Cheers and clear skies,
Steve
No problem Steve - you're not the first coming across this behavior! I really need to implement a version check.

Clear skies!
Ivo Jager
richbandit

Post by richbandit »

Hi Ivo,

I'm new to this forum, so excuse me if I do anything out of turn!

Been using Star Tools successfully for quite a while, terrific programme in every way! Now upgraded to 1.5.369 and, like others, I also find that it crashes when attempting to do a wipe - previous versions worked fine. Also agree with another member who commented the programme seems to be generally much slower in operation, in all areas ….

I'm on Windows 10, i7 PC, and yes I've ensured I extracted all files from the downloaded 1.5.369 ZIP file - the only file I then placed back into the new folder was my existing license file.

I've tried cropping, binning severely, starting from scratch and extracting all again, restarting PC and so on, but it still crashes every time on wipe, totally reproduceable - I do note that on the first 'wipe' it seems to work OK, but then making any adjustments to try a second or third attempt (e.g., increase aggressiveness, increase dark anomaly filter) is what generally causes the eventual crash.

Hope this might help for you to investigate what's going on?

Many thanks,

Richard
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1.5. Other than a post from Murray (w/o a follow-up unfortunately), I have not had any other reports of the issues you are describing....
Can you tell me at what point(s) you are noticing a slowdown?
What type of crash is this? Any errors or messages? Does it just close?

Could you also give me the specs of your machine (RAM, free disk space, CPU, type of storage drive) and whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit?

Does this still happen on 1.6 (alpha)?

Thank you!
Ivo Jager
richbandit

Post by richbandit »

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for your prompt response. I have a feeling (it's only that, based on my experience of using previous versions) that the whole programme (all actions/modules) just seem to be taking somewhat longer to complete their respective tasks than they used to be …. it's just generally 'slower'. I'm unable to provide any hard evidence for that as such, at the moment anyway. However, to be fair I haven't really been able to test run the complete version properly yet due to the 'crashing' situation, so my feeling may yet be unfounded! Sorry this seems a little vague at the moment, so perhaps it may be best to ignore my comment about that for the time being, and if I can positively provide any more accurate evidence I'll report back!

Meanwhile, I can successfully load LRGB image files, then use DEV, CROP, BIN - the 'crashing' issue I have is then with WIPE; it begins its action, with the 'spinning wheel' progress monitor indicating things are happening, but seems to go on for a bit longer than I would have previously expected (again, this is my feeling). Normally this first 'run' completes successfully. Then, upon (any) successive adjustments and further wipe(s), at some point the progress monitor stops spinning and locks up, my mouse curser turns into the Windows 'spinning wheel' indicating a task has started running in the background, immediately followed by Star Tools shutting down completely. No errors, messages, or any other indications shown. So far this typically happens on the second or third successive 'wipe' attempt.

FYI, my machine is Windows 10 i7-8550 processor, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, local hard drive storage with 680GB free space.

I haven't tried 1.6 (alpha) yet - I'll give that a go and let you know!

Many thanks for your assistance,

Richard
richbandit

Post by richbandit »

Hi Ivo,

Update - just tried v 1.6 (alpha) and still have exactly the same problem, with WIPE again - programme drops out (crashes) same as previously described.

So the evidence would so far suggest something has changed between 1.4.352 (my last known working version) and 1.5.369 …. Actually, one thing I haven't yet tried is going back to 1.4.352, I'll try that now and report back ...

Thanks,

Richard
richbandit

Post by richbandit »

Hi Ivo,

Just to confirm that I've gone back to v 1.4.352 and that works perfectly …..

I'll be interested to see if you find anything, or have any further advice!

Many thanks for your excellent support, as always,

Richard
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you Richard.
I've been trying to replicate the problem to no avail.
Would you be able to give me some exact instructions on how I can reproduce this?
Would you be able to check your virtual memory settings for me as well?
https://mywindowshub.com/customization- ... l-preview/

With regards to slow downs, there are indeed some things in StarTools that may take a little longer in 1.5+ due to higher precision, more functionality or both. Then again, some things may take less time as well.
If you are processing LRGB datasets using the new Compose module/mode, luminance and chrominance are now processed separately, yet simultaneously. This means, for example, that Wipe performs twice the work (and you also get to inspect two datasets at the same time). However, this also means that your processing time is otherwise cut in half, as you don't have to process two datasets any more and combine them later into one.
Ivo Jager