StarTools 1.6 Final, 1.7 Alpha w/GPU acceleration

Bugs, glitches and unexpected behaviour.
admin
Site Admin

StarTools 1.6 Final, 1.7 Alpha w/GPU acceleration

Post by admin »

Hi all,

1.6 is now the new stable version of StarTools. The list of innovations, new functionality, improvements, optimizations and enhancements is very, very long (see CHANGELOG file). 1.6 also includes improved, integrated documentation and support.

We're also very excited to announce and release the first 1.7 alpha, making StarTools the first fully GPU accelerated AP-specific post-processing application available. Watching a high-iteration Decon finish in almost real-time is something to behold. :mrgreen:

Lastly, we cannot thank enough our users, and the many generous alpha/beta testers, translators, dataset providers, and signal processing enthusiast who continue to actively contribute to StarTools development and innovation. :bow-yellow:

Without you, StarTools, nearly 10 years in, would not be where it is now; at the cutting-edge of astronomical image signal processing and fidelity!

Clear skies and a heartfelt thank you to you all!

Ivo
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
happy-kat

Re: StarTools 1.6 Final, 1.7 Alpha w/GPU acceleration

Post by happy-kat »

That's pretty exciting, off to download both updates, thank you for the continued growth and innovation of StarTools
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

happy-kat wrote:That's pretty exciting, off to download both updates, thank you for the continued growth and innovation of StarTools
Thank you happy-kat - couldn't do what I do without your support! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Ivo Jager
ghswen

Post by ghswen »

admin wrote:Hi all,

1.6 is now the new stable version of StarTools. The list of innovations, new functionality, improvements, optimizations and enhancements is very, very long (see CHANGELOG file). 1.6 also includes improved, integrated documentation and support.

We're also very excited to announce and release the first 1.7 alpha, making StarTools the first fully GPU accelerated AP-specific post-processing application available. Watching a high-iteration Decon finish in almost real-time is something to behold. :mrgreen:

Lastly, we cannot thank enough our users, and the many generous alpha/beta testers, translators, dataset providers, and signal processing enthusiast who continue to actively contribute to StarTools development and innovation. :bow-yellow:

Without you, StarTools, nearly 10 years in, would not be where it is now; at the cutting-edge of astronomical image signal processing and fidelity!

Clear skies and a heartfelt thank you to you all!

Ivo
Congratulations Ivo on the new upgraded versions! We appreciate your continued hard work with improvements to make StarTools the best!!!
Scopes: Explore Scientific ES80ed-cf / Skywatcher 254N newtonian
Mounts: Orion EQ6g / Skywatcher EQ5 pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm-c / ZWO ASI553mc-pro / ZWO ASI174mm-c
Misc: Daystar Quark Chromosphere
And a bunch of boxes of stuff....
elpajare

Post by elpajare »

Thanks for the work, Startools is an essential tool for me.
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

Hi Ivo,
I just tried the Mac version of Startools 1.7 alpha and unfortunately, it crashes immediately after I clicked on Autodev. Here's the part of the log file:

-----------------------------------------------------------
StarTools 1.7.402alpha
Sat Jul 11 15:40:19 2020
File loaded [/Volumes/AstroPhotos/astro/04Jul2020/stack/cropped_ngc7023.fit].
Image size is 3337 x 2501
---
Type of Data: Linear and was Bayered, but not whitebalanced
Image size is 3328 x 2461
---

StarTools 1.7.402alpha
Sat Jul 11 15:45:08 2020
Image size is 3328 x 2461
---

I'm running on MacBook Pro 16 and Catalina 10.15.5.

cytan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just tried the Mac version of Startools 1.7 alpha and unfortunately, it crashes immediately after I clicked on Autodev
Dang. :(

macOS again, AMD drivers again

Thank you for your report. This is rather disheartening after spending so much time trying to troubleshoot different macOS configs and working around issues in their drivers. AMD has been particularly troublesome. So far, I have had reports of RX500-class and R9 300-class working correctly now. The MBP 16, if I'm not mistaken, comes with a newer RX5000-class GPU, correct?

A couple of questions for you to help troubleshoot this;
  • Is it a crash or clean exit?
  • If crash, would you be able to send me the crash report? This would be extremely useful.
  • Can you see any messages from StarTools in your macOS Console?
  • What does it say in the StarTools' about dialog, e.g. something like this;
Selection_161.png
Selection_161.png (8.24 KiB) Viewed 16630 times
EDIT: I'm reading about a lot of issues (for example here, but also elsewhere) about crashes with the MBP 16/RX5000-class configuration in other GPU-dependent applications as well (e.g. Photoshop). Apparently one possible workarounds is to turn off/untick automatic graphics switching". Does this help at all?

Thank you!
Ivo Jager
hixx

Post by hixx »

Hi,
so again another graphic card, new issues...., I just downloaded 1.7.402 from homepage and retried....
I can confirm it works for my configuration now (AMD R9 M390) - no crash any more .
good luck fixing this!
jochen
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

Hi Ivo,
Here's more info from my MacBook Pro 16. Here's the config from "About this Mac ...":
about1.png
about1.png (60.01 KiB) Viewed 16489 times
Here's the info from StarTools about (it doesn't see the AMD):
about.png
about.png (69.34 KiB) Viewed 16489 times
Turning off/untick automatic graphics switching gives the same results. And no change to what Startools sees, i.e. it still only sees the INTEL video adapter.

Hitting the AutoDev button crashes StarTools. No extra info in StarTools.log (same as what I showed above). I'm attaching the console log. (saved in startools_crash.zip)

Hopefully, this helps with the debugging.

cytan
Attachments
startools_crash.zip
(139.79 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Topographic

Post by Topographic »

Hi Ivo

Just trying out 1.7

Tried deconvolution and got some odd ring effects with some stars. See attachments, tried again and got an odd smaller ring artifact (which I have had with 1.6).

Is moffat the default PSF?

Error diffusion = when you pree help you get Regularization that mentions a default of '1'. Default seems to be 'Off'

Could all be me of course

David
Attachments
Cygnus.jpg
Cygnus.jpg (374.83 KiB) Viewed 16232 times