wipe tips?

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
ET_PhoneHome

wipe tips?

Post by ET_PhoneHome »

So I'm not sure what is going on with wipe, but it seems to make matters much worse. Any tips on what I may be doing wrong? This image is just a wide shot of Cassiopeia. As you can see, the pre-wipe version has vignetting, but it's nothing too bad. I run wipe, and I get the second image. Do I need to play with the settings?
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (439.96 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (36.66 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
almcl

Re: wipe tips?

Post by almcl »

You will need to re-stretch the image after exiting the wipe module, either by the Autodev or Dev modules.

The first image doesn't look like vignetting. Normally a vignetted image gets darker moving outwards towards the edge.

Also, did you use flats? There seems to be a dust bunny or two. If you did stack with flats, they may have introduced the annular brightening and it might be worth looking at the master flat to see what is going on.

Ivo will be along with a much better qualified opinion, shortly, I expect.
Skywatcher 190MN, ASI 2600 or astro modded Canon 700d, guided by OAG, ASI120, PHD2
ET_PhoneHome

Post by ET_PhoneHome »

Thanks! I will try re-stretching; that's something I didn't do afterwards. Also, I didn't use flats, so that could be part of the problem. I'll play around with it some more and see what happens :thumbsup:

P.S. I posted the shots backwards.....the first one is after wipe, and the second is the original.
Burly

Post by Burly »

Have you used calibration frames ,darks flats bias ? ,did you crop borders of image to rid edges of image of stacking artefacts ,helpful if you post imaging setup details too ,equipment used stacking program etc.
ET_PhoneHome

Post by ET_PhoneHome »

Burly wrote:Have you used calibration frames ,darks flats bias ? ,did you crop borders of image to rid edges of image of stacking artefacts ,helpful if you post imaging setup details too ,equipment used stacking program etc.
I'm very new to AP, so I haven't done all the other frames for now, just light frames. That's good you mentioned the stacking artifacts. I always get that message on import and was wondering what to do about it.

This was just a wide shot of Cassiopeia, 20s x 40, taken with my D850 and 85mm lens and a Skyguider Pro. Stacked in DSS with the settings recommended for StarTools.
ET_PhoneHome

Post by ET_PhoneHome »

I re-stacked with flats this time, and now I get this when I wipe....
Attachments
22.jpg
22.jpg (367.19 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
almcl

Post by almcl »

That's caused by stacking artefacts.

Try cropping a good 20 to 30 pixels off each affected edge before you use the wipe module.
Skywatcher 190MN, ASI 2600 or astro modded Canon 700d, guided by OAG, ASI120, PHD2
ET_PhoneHome

Post by ET_PhoneHome »

OK, thanks, I will give it a shot!
ET_PhoneHome

Post by ET_PhoneHome »

Also, I think part of the cloudiness I was seeing was actually part of the Milky way (not the crazy edges of the frame, but the more central areas).