Wipe always destroys my data... (or I do)

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
n0de

Wipe always destroys my data... (or I do)

Post by n0de »

Hi All,

I've been ready to give up on startools for months now as I cannot get past the first few stages without my data being worthless (the data shouldn't too bad)...I'm searching for some advice saying that my data is bad and not to worry or to be told that I'm doing it wrong, currently it's just failure after depressing failure with ST for me so far. :(

I don't really have anywhere else to ask as the astro guys I can chat with don't use ST unfortunately.

I don't want this to turn into a software vs software battle - but I feel that I should be able to achieve workable output as I can use the exact same data in 'other' software (examples of output below)

After I wipe this dataset (with or without a mask)...based on a Autodev ROI I get the below : (or worse variations of)- would anyone know where I am going wrong please?
here's what I managed with just a quick stretch, star reduce and curves transformation with 'other' software :
FTS file is below - if anyone could take a quick look and help out (tell me my data is bad etc.) I'd be very grateful.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PECy0t ... sp=sharing
Burly

Re: Wipe always destroys my data... (or I do)

Post by Burly »

I had a quick look before going to work all seems fine nice clean data I will take a stab that your not cropping the borders as what your results shows is wipe backing off causing the result shown , I did a quick auto dev >crop >wipe > auto dev with roi all should be fine , Ivo will confirm ,I will have a better look this evening, always post camera specs and aquasition, stacking used , filters etc did you take calibration frames ,heal module will be able rid the trail in the bottom left of image too.

Regards Dave
Last edited by Burly on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm having some trouble replicating the issue you are experiencing. Are you sure you are preparing your dataset properly as depicted in most tutorials, videos and the quick start guide? To get Wipe to work, cropping away the minor stacking artifacts in your dataset (which StarTools even alerts your about when you open the dataset) should suffice.

While it appears the dataset was not calibrated with flats, the Uncalibrated 1 or Uncalibrated 2 presets (meant for uncalibrated datasets like these) yields expected results;
StarTools_474.jpg
StarTools_474.jpg (298.13 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
From there you can process with moslty defaults to quickly arrive at, for example, this;
deep-sky-stacker-m78.jpg
deep-sky-stacker-m78.jpg (254.55 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
It shows most of the expected features and their coloring (though one or two purple stars seem to come through).
(you will definitely want to tweak the defaults used here, but I just wanted to demonstrate that the software is behaving as expected with your dataset)

You will definitely want to start taking and applying flats though, as it just becomes very hard to discern artificially introduced uneven lighting and faint celestial detail. There is a lot of dust and faint emissions in the immediate surroundings of M78, and though I do believe you have picked up some Ha emissions, it is hard to have confidence in its signal being real when attempting to bring this out.

I hope this helps, but if you continue to have trouble, do let us know!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
n0de

Post by n0de »

firstly... thank you for taking the time to reply and have a go at my data!

...this data unfortunately only contains 2 hours of lights and about the same of darks and nothing else. (just starting out with my first OSC Cooled CCD the ZWO ASI533 on a WO Z73)

this is just a new moon shot with no filters applied, and the seeing wasn't too great :(

The stacking was using the method described in the tutorial section, I was able to improve things by binning before the wipe - I guess you know how to drive the software better than most ;)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

n0de wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:46 am I guess you know how to drive the software better than most ;)
That's why I used mostly defaults, warts and all, to take that out of the equation. :) You should be able to get close by just following the quick start tutorial, and generally just visiting the modules left-to-right, top-to-bottom.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Burly

Post by Burly »

n0de wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:46 am firstly... thank you for taking the time to reply and have a go at my data!

...this data unfortunately only contains 2 hours of lights and about the same of darks and nothing else. (just starting out with my first OSC Cooled CCD the ZWO ASI533 on a WO Z73)

this is just a new moon shot with no filters applied, and the seeing wasn't too great :(

The stacking was using the method described in the tutorial section, I was able to improve things by binning before the wipe - I guess you know how to drive the software better than most ;)
Excellent start I thought you were using that camera good choice, make a darks library and bias library, so on the night you’ll only need to take flat frames very important, look on forums on taking flats with this camera depending on which software you use there may be a flats aid to help .
RICH-DSO

Post by RICH-DSO »

I have not looked at your data yet, just looked at your linear image.
The first thing you must do is crop your image as you have drift in your stack, your guiding shifted every minutes. When this happens, the border of your image creates an unwanted light gradient. That is the first issue with your dataset. Crop the borders, start with 50 pixels and it may be more. I willl look at your data and come back here, later.
StarTools works fine and very powerful. Take the time to prepare your datawith calibration.

This is what i can get with StarTools. I am showing you this, so you can see what is possible.

removed link, see image below

R
Last edited by RICH-DSO on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RICH-DSO

Post by RICH-DSO »

Here is the process final image. I also removed 2 satellite trails in your image using Heal module. Before stacking, remove these artifacts as they will produce unwanted gradients... But here it is and done in under 10 minutes. Clear skies to you. If you want the workflow let me know..

Nothing wrong with the data...
Attachments
deep-sky-stacker-m78-process-rich.JPG
deep-sky-stacker-m78-process-rich.JPG (301.74 KiB) Viewed 3792 times
n0de

Post by n0de »

Thanks again for taking the time, I'd very much appreciate if you could summarise the steps please?
RICH-DSO

STEP by STEP workflow for M78

Post by RICH-DSO »

The workflow is pasted below, step by step.
I have erased your data and image from my PC.
Clear skies

Workflow deleted
-----------------------------------------------------------
StarTools 1.7.449beta
Tue Feb 23 09:44:53 2021
Last edited by RICH-DSO on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.